Sunday, April 7, 2013

My Milestone

So yesterday I called my wife into the lab. "Spot me please."
It was not so much the need to have someone truly aid me in finishing my press, but more to have an eyewitness to what was about to take place.

I was going to bench 300 pounds.

I had all of the weight I owned on the bar.

She positioned herself as a spotter, kind of complaining, "So what happens when your ligaments separate? I think you are doing too much."

She is not being naggish, these are true concerns I suppose as I did just turn 42. "I'm not 80!" I humph onto the bench. "I am stronger than I have ever been! Now here we go." In my mind all I could see were my shoulder ligs and tendons unzipping and rolling back onto themselves. Halting my journey for good.

Ugh.

Whatever. I take a deep breath, position my hands, unlatch and raise the bar, down slow, press up, smooth. Down slow, press up steadily - no back arch, down slow - "OK, might have to help me" I tell her through clenched teeth. Up slow but steady.

Finish with a fourth press. All mine.

I have earned every single one of these 300 pounds. Every rep. All four. Few things in life you can claim as completely yours.

300 pounds baby. My wife walks off shaking her head, not really impressed.

I however, feel quite impressed with myself. 100 pounds to go.

No comments: