Friday, February 1, 2013

I am inclined to incline. How Incline bench Presses dominate chest development.

I will revert back to my previous posting about my orangutan arms. This also means my pectoral muscles are very wide. This is a large canvas to have to destroy and repair to invoke growth and strength.

You have all seen that guy, the one who lives only on the flat bench and has a chest with an almost Madonna like pointy anterior and nearly inverted upper chest. Without much thought you can deduce that this guy has rarely moved his bench beyond the horizontal. Unfortunately, by doing so, there is a whole undiscovered world of muscle tissue waiting to be shredded and reborn.

But, incline bench presses suck. They suck. Really suck. They are hard to do and many guys avoid them because of the smaller amount of weight they are able to press. This is detrimental to ones image you know.
A travesty though.

Since I started this journey, with my Total Sports America 2000 smith machine, I have relied on incline bench presses nearly 80% of the time and I have fallen in love. Contrary to positioning, the flat bench press calls upon more shoulder and triceps participation than incline. This not only means that incline presses target a more specific pectoral growth potential, but a wider area of chest development.

So after about two weeks of strictly inclines, I dusted off the pin and lowered by bench to flat. My strength was exponential. I benched 270 with no back arch, controlled, almost like a ballet. It felt beautiful.

Man I am loving this challenge.


1 comment:

Davien said...

Doing incline only is ok as long as you change the degree of incline with each set. This will really begin to target the different striations of the huge network of fibers that make up your pecs.