Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pssst.... hey Jon. Come visit me.

In your mind you have one plan. How hard to actually stick to that plan, especially when your Smith machine is calling for you. I wanted to simply do a 5 day pyramid routine. Last week was my first week and I did 90 pound bench presses each day until failure. Except for one when I was so sore from the previous days I felt like vomiting.

I took Friday the 11th of January '13 off because I was unable to move really. BUT, by Saturday the 12th (Sat and Sun were going to be off days), (Oh, and happy birthday brother...) my Total Sports America 2000 Smith machine was eerily whispering my name throughout the house. It called for me to visit it.

To visit the laboratory. Spokane is about 12 degrees right now so the laboratory is like a meat locker. Bitter cold brings its own set of quiet and when I am in the lab every little slide, creak and moan of the Smith machine and myself is amplified. Again, I love it!

So on Saturday I did visit the lab. I felt so strong. I placed 2 45's and 2 25's on the bar and easily pressed out 10. What the hell? Then I replaced the 25's with 35's and pressed out another 8. The 7th and 8th were a fart inducing struggle.

I felt guilty for doing it. Like falling off the wagon. I felt so good though. I felt so strong. I could have done more but would be betraying my own plan. Now it seems almost childish to have a plan of only benching 10 more pounds than last week for a grand total of 100 pounds to failure each day. Do I up the ante or do I continue my slow and steady growth pattern?

Will slow and steady, the 5 day pyramiding plan thwart that plateau so many reach? Today is Sunday and I have this nagging inside me to visit the lab again and try for as much weight as possible but I will not. I know I need to let my muscles repair. Such a tedious process.

Like watching grass grow.


No comments: